Samsung Electro-Mechanics' new-concept academic award — we support competent, young talents’ research activities.
Materials required to be submitted
- Papers should be in MS Word or PDF form and submitted through the award website.
- Abstract Submission (due date : 10 September ) Abstract and confirmation document are required. The basic information needs to be put in the website.
- Full Paper Submission (due date : 15 October)
Guidelines in writing a paper
- 1.Abstracts and papers should be written in English or Korean, using the template. Less than 2 pages for the Extended abstract and 4~12 pages for the main body. Any abstract and paper out of the standard is likely to be excluded from assessment.
- 2.Both form of MS Word and PDF are allowed for abstracts and papers.
- 3.Abstracts and Papers should be written in A4 sized paper(21cm×29.7cm) with margins of 3cm on the top, 2.5cm on the bottom, 1.5cm on the left and right, 2cm on the header, and 1cm on the footer. For the header and footer, select “Different first page,” and “Different Odd & Even Pages.
- 4.“SAMSUNG Electro-Mechanics Best Paper Award 2018” should appear in the header. The header of the first page should be written in 12pt(bold), and 9pt from the second page. The header of even pages should be left-justified, and that of odd pages should be right-justified. Page numbers should be put in the footer. The footer of even pages should be left-justified, and that of odd pages should be right-justified.
- 5.Papers should be written in Times New Roman with the font size of 20pt in bold for a title, 10pt in bold for an abstract, 11pt in bold for titles in the body, 10pt for the text, 9pt in bold for the titles of figures and tables and 9pt for references. The line spacing should be 1.0 and paragraphs should be left-justified.
- 6.Titles should not exceed two lines, abstracts not exceed 15 lines.
- 7.The main body should be written in two columns with 0.5cm spacing. Title, table, picture, and equation should have one line of spacing in-between lines.
- 8.The numbering of contents in the main body should be based on the following format:
chapter : 1. , 2. , 3. ~
paragraph : 1.1. , 2.1. , ~
- 9.List and number all bibliographical references at the end of the document. When referring to them in the text, type the corresponding reference number in square brackets at the end of sentence.
- 10.The titles of tables, graphs, and pictures should begin with a capital letter. Tables' titles should be placed on the top of tables, pictures' titles should be on the bottom of pictures with being left-justified.
- 11.Only SI units are allowed to use and abbreviations should be spelled out when they appear first in the text. If a non-standard abbreviation is used first, it should be clearly defined.
- 12.References should be written in the following formats:
- ① Author’s name should be listed with surname first, followed by a comma and the initial of given name.
- ② The title of article cited in a reference list should be written exactly as it is, not in italic form; the first letter of title is capitalized.
- ③ Book and journal titles are italic with all fist letters capitalized. For journal titles, an abbreviated form can be used based on a common usage.
- ④ Volume numbers are in bold. The publisher and publication city of books are required.
- ⑤ For references to web-only journals, authors, article titles and journal names should be written as mentioned above, with full URL or DOI if known.
- ⑥ For references to websites, authors, the title of cited pages, full URL , and the year of posting should be provided.
- ⑦ The year of publication(posting year) should be written in parentheses.
- 13.The content of a full paper should be as follow:
① Title, ② Abstract, ③ Main Body, ④ References
Matters that require attention
- In abstracts and full papers, school, major or name shall not be included.
(Name or certain symbols representing the school that may undermine fairness is not allowed)
- The copyright of awarded thesis belongs to its author.
- The electronic document file which is applied will be discarded within two months from the closing date of the awards ceremony, and before that, if the applicant asks to discard the thesis, the relevant thesis file will be discarded immediately.
- If there is no qualified work, there may be no awardees.
- Only the authors who qualify at the first round can make it to the second round. Only one main author may
perform presentation (co-authors is not allowed to do it).
Co-authors shall be students, and prize money will be given to only one main author
(Instructors shall not be included as co-authors).
- Awardees should be responsible for dues and taxes caused by prize money.
- Can I submit any published thesis until the due date?
- Published thesis is excluded from the examination.
But, if it is published after the examination, it is fine.
You may use contents in the conference as references (you must clarify the conference).,
Since this is not a process of publication, you may post your thesis on the graduation thesis.
- Published thesis is excluded from the examination.
- If field of my thesis is vague, what shall I do?
- If your thesis includes two or three fields, you shall apply with the most relative area.
- If the field of registration is incorrect, the examination department will change the area before any examination.
- Who possesses the intellectual property of a thesis?
- The author has the intellectual property.
- Can I submit two or more thesis?
- If each thesis is qualified, you may submit more than one thesis.