Safety, Health, Environment & Energy Policy
Samsung Electro-Mechanics, a global parts manufacturer that provides cutting-edge electronic components to customers, proactively prevents accidents from stakeholders including employees and suppliers by complying with global standards and evaluating risk factors throughout the entire manufacturing process under the management principle "A safe environment is our top priority."
We also recognize that environmental protection and efficient use of energy are key elements of sustainable management. Therefore, all employees put this into practice to create a safe and pleasant workplace and fulfill corporate social responsibilities.
- Global-level safety environment and energy management system
- - We comply with domestic and foreign laws and agreements related to safety, health, environment, and energy, and set and faithfully implement high internal standards.
- - We ensure leadership and active participation of employees to achieve goals, as well as transparency by disclosing policies to stakeholders.
- Practicing eco-friendly and energy management
- - We take the lead in environmental protection by using eco-friendly methods throughout the cycle of product development and production.
- - We strive to minimize the wastewater and waste generated in the production process and to reduce pollutants and greenhouse gas emissions by efficiently using resources and energy.
- Creating a safe and healthy workplace
- - To create a safe and pleasant work environment, we build a safety culture in which all employees participate.
- - We prevent safety-related accidents by practicing voluntary safety management and establishing a risk management system in which we recognize and prevent risk factors in advance.
- Win-win partnerships based on a safe environment
- - By sharing our safe environment management system and technology with suppliers, we build partnerships on a safe environment.
- - As a member of the local community, we will continuously engage in environmental conservation and communicate with residents to fulfill our social responsibility for a safe environment.
Environmental Management System
Global Safety and Environmental Management System
Samsung Electro-Mechanics established the international standard system of the ISO 14001 and ISO 45001 completely to all sites This is utilized as the means of a strategy to implement corporate social responsibilities in alignment with internal sustainable management strategies, while continuing to unfold improvement programs. We have made systematic investment in environmental energy to prevent safety accidents by eradicating industrial disasters and responding to regulatory responses for safety environment on sites since 2013.
Failure to secure a sufficient amount of water as well as the quality of water resources needed for manufacturing may result in a decrease in production capabilities and an increase in operating costs for water treatment. Samsung Electro-Mechanics conducts risk analysis of water resources incurred by business activities every year, and operates a severe internal standard for water quality management.
Samsung Electro-Mechanics has installed and secured anti air pollution prevention facilities to minimize air pollutants that occur on sites and manage leakage risks, and oversee the status of normal operations in real time through the monitoring system, managing the emission density at 30% below the statutory standards. In adopting new manufacturing processes, the safety environment assessment system is used to review expected pollutants, emissions and process instruments to prioritize pollutants.
Samsung Electro-Mechanics conduct various activities to raise efficiency in resources by reducing the amount of usage, making products smaller and converting waste into resources again in order to raise efficiency in resources throughout the product manufacturing process. We set a goal to maintain the waste-recycling rate at 80% above the target level by 2017. To this end, we improve the equipment handling process by applying the standards of Samsung Group for communication with employees and the safe environment based on 3P(Proper Items, Proper Quantity and Proper Place) and 5S (Sorting, Straightening, Shining, Standardizing and Sustaining), and 5-stack segmented close management of sites with site managers/supervisors in each business division.
Product Environment Policy
Samsung Electro-Mechanics restricts the use of hazardous materials in products it manufactures and raw materials procured. This is to respond to the trend where product-related environmental regulations including the EU RoHS and the REACH have been intensified, and the demand for corporate social responsibilities has increased. Samsung Electro-Mechanics also changes such materials with alternatives to provide eco-friendly products to customers.
Samsung Electro-Mechanics voluntarily manages all materials ranging from raw materials of suppliers to its products, including key chemicals such as halogen, antimony and beryllium, besides statutorily regulated materials at home and abroad. These also include 6 materials subject to the EU RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances) and REACH SVHC (Substance of Very High Concern) and phthalates. As regulations on 4 types of phthalate (DEHP , BBP , DBP and DIBP ) of the EU RoHS will be effected, we plan to make preemptive responses through the review of the current usage status and planning of entire disposal.
Management of Hazardous Materials to the Environment
Samsung Electro-Mechanics operates the product environment management system to efficiently respond to product information requests from customers as well as requests for the management of hazardous materials. All raw material suppliers in transactions with us are obligated to prove that they comply with our standards by submitting a test report of hazardous substances and the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) through the green purchase system. As such, we stably provide eco-friendly products to customers, which contain no regulatory materials, by databasing the chemical substance information of all materials.
By applying a carbon management strategy across all business activities as a part of our business strategy,
Samsung Electro-Mechanics resolves climate-change related uncertainty, improves shareholder and investor value, and strengthens the relationship of trust with our customers.
We have established a mid-term strategy for GHG emissions reduction which aims to reduce GHG intensity of 7% by 2025 compared to 2014.
Relatedly, all greenhouse gas emissions sources during the product manufacturing process are catalogued, emissions calculated, and the information disclosed, and by managing direct/indirect emissions sources within plants based on WRI/WBCSD guidelines, along with determining the emissions sources throughout the entire corporate value chain (SCOPE 3) and calculating emissions, a system to reduce greenhouse gas emissions will be established.
Samsung Electro-Mechanics is organizing a team exclusively for energy saving based on low-carbon energy management system, setting annual saving goals, and continuing energy saving activities in which all employees participate. Energy management activities are being carried out as top-down system, reflecting the energy saving target achievement rate in the evaluation area of the Top Management, and in line with the trend of the transition to renewable energy, which is an international issue, lightings of all workplaces are being replaced and maintained with LED lighting.
Currently, the solar power generation facility (100kW) is introduced to secure 120MWh of renewable energy every year, which accounts for 0.01% of total power consumption.
In addition, energy-saving production machines are being manufactured through review of production machines on energy conservation specifications, and high-efficiency energy equipment and introduction of new renewable energy technology are being reviewed and applied every year during new building constructions and building expansions.
|Amount of Renewable
Energy Secured (MWh/year)
No Deforestation Commitment
By taking the lead in eradicating forest destruction, Samsung Electro-Mechanics will continue to implement policies to protect the global environment, including protecting the ecosystem and responding to the climate crisis.
- - We will try to minimize the impact of forest destruction due to the company's business operation.
- - We will actively promote the eradication of forest destruction and environmental conservation with our partners, and if inevitable, we will try to compensate for future reforestation.
- - We will work with citizens and environmental organizations, and if necessary, we will work with specialized institutions to create forests and green areas near workplaces.
Biodiversity Conservation Policy
Samsung Electro-Mechanics will actively promote ecosystem conservation activities through recognizing the impact by biodiversity and minimizing negative impact on biodiversity.
- - All employees shall recognize conservation of biodiversity as an important management value.
- - We analyze and assess our impact on biodiversity and strive to minimize negative impact.
- - We implement various activities for conservation of biodiversity that accommodate local specificities.
- - We shall continuously engage with stakeholders and local communities and contribute to biodiversity conservation.
- - We shall cooperate in industrial efforts for sustainable uses of biological resources.
- - We shall consider biodiversity conservation in our decisionmaking process.
Eco Culture Program Management
The SEM has promoted activities within our established areas in cooperation with the government agencies, including the ecology park generation, the invasive alien plants and animals extermination. Expert training programs on biodiversity consultations and the 'Excellent ecosystem area preservation' project engagement, which has been systematically executed at our Sejong branch. In September 2013, we signed the agreement with the ministry of environment to have “Declaration for biodiversity preservation and the sustainable use” established for various of activities in hopes to preserve the biological diversity.
6 Principles of Joint Statement
- 1. Understand the value of biological diversity
- 2. Government expands the biological diversity policies and corporations consider the preservation of biological diversity under decision making processes
- 3. Participate together to practice preservation of biological diversity
- 4. Cooperate for the usage of sustainable biological resources by the industries
- 5. Exchange and cooperate with related domestic and foreign organizations for the preservation of biological diversity
- 6. Work to raise public awareness of biological diversity